[ubuntu-za] XO MOD groups needed on Ubuntu Forum and Wiki

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Mar 12 22:04:03 GMT 2009

Dear Forum, Ubuntu, Clug, Lug, OLPC, XO-Booters,

I am writing this as a proposal to save the Sugar XO desktop
platform/environment within Ubuntu (and my home gnome). Heard that sugar
was getting dumped in favour of some-other Tux flava and my Gnome is
like seriously upset, lwhat did it think, I was going to stick to one
desktop, ignore KDE and all the rest? Once the rabbit is out of the
habit, is there any way of turning back, I forgot where I was and now
the evolutionary process?

All I am suggesting (see http://indlovu.wordpress.com) is that the XO
project is interesting enough to actually develop
applications/packages/uses. I can't see myself coming up with anything
of any interest to any of you in Gnome, except of course for the Ubuwiki
"Data-Mp3" see http://ubuwiki.sourceforge.com which is slowly but surely
evolving and needs some young minds to tackle the meta-programme goals
---- assemble wikispaces of well-known distro's and port them to a
format that can be carried around in ones pocket - offline.

Okay, so here is the XO Sugar thing - I demand a kickass Music Playa and
Video-editing suite that will allow everybody, especially global teens
to whiteboard and mashup in realtime, guess the games will pop in one of
the activities, let's seperate the game playa from the audio and video
tools, in an entire XO layer or compartment in which you can code
without interferences or the need to remember anything.

To be able to lock-off spaces or x-zones would be amazing. Imagine this
you key in your password and boom, the box is an entertainment tool away
from school. During school, pack your play things away where they can't
disturb your neighbours. This is pedagologically correct, and why XO
computing needs some attention, away from the potential clutter of gnome
once you start wrapping up libraries.

Found a wonderful Deblib tool that will pack 32 bit for 64. Wish I could
blueprint, or etch my daily work to a clean slab of silicon and be done
with the anxiety of backups or not actually having a means of backing
the machine up. Where is the undo? I've gone and destroyed gnome trying
to upgrade my system. Details later when I get down to it. So this isn't
even my own ubuntu that I am writing from and I sound like a total noob.

(partial upgrade failed to download, session locked down, gnome refusing
to budge on policy issues, demands real attention I don't have time
right now, so this project locked down I guess)