[ubuntu-za] Skype, Ubuntu, Weekend

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 3 14:02:27 GMT 2009

Hi David

David Robert Lewis wrote:
>>> 3. Implementing bug control on this list: Since, Ubuntu is us, how do we
>>> go about the fixing Network Proxy app, and keeping track of the
>>> community modifications, for example, the Pulse Audio problem?
>>>
>> The bug traffic would be way too much for a generic list like this.
>> Everyone is of course welcome to subscribe to the individual lists at
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/#Bug+Lists
>>
> This is the kind of info which needs to be up on the wiki

Yes it does. Feel free to add it, otherwise I'll put it on my to-do list
and it will get done whenever it gets done.

> Maybe its a left brain, right brain thing. I guess this kind of
> statement could be misconstrued as misogynism, but you get what I'm
> trying to say - we not all in the semantic frame of mind, often we need
> visual stimulus, some means of relating on a morphic level. From my
> experience, women tend to operate like this at least one week out of
> every month, but I'll be damned if I can find evidence linking Ubuntu to
> human behaviour. Perhaps more research needs to be done.
> Check this out
> <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060404090204.htm>Even At
> Rest, Men's And Women's Brains Behave Differently
> <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/04/060404090204.htm>
> and  Men's and women's brains behave differently
> <http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/8011>

I think it's universally accepted that there are differences between
male and female brains, but I'm having a tough time believing that there
are usability improvements that can be made that will make the
experience better for either male or female users respectively. I think
there are just too many bigger factors (such as attention span, just to
mention one) that make huge differences that makes the differences in
how males and females think almost a non-factor.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if a branch were to
occur and if there were such a thing as a "male user" and a "female
user" desktop. I would bet you that there would be many women who would
prefer the "male desktop", and many guys who would prefer the "female
desktop". I don't think making large sweeping generalisations is always
such a good idea.

-Jonathan

PS: Lack of sleep mode, sorry if there are any broken sentences :)