[ubuntu-za] Home network implementations (Phase 1)

wayne plettpc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 20:51:37 BST 2009

SecretCode wrote:
> Lee Sharp wrote:
>> Wikus Cornelius wrote:
>>
>>> What we have at the moment:
>>> ADLS router and everyone is directly connected to the router.
>>>
>>> I am planning to implement the improvements in phases and I will post my
>>> questions accordingly. I can only work on this over weekends.
>>>
>>> Questions for the first phase:
>>> 1. For a start I want to use the server only for routing with no
>>> control. I have an idea how to do the routing (previous question on
>>> Ubuntu-za), but it seems to be gone after a reboot. Which file do I have
>>> to edit to add the routing configuration automatically when the server boot?
>>>
>> Do not roll your own.  It is very complex, and you will have a poor
>> solution.  Instead, consider m0n0wall, pfsense, or Untangle.  These are
>> fully built, mature, and tested firewalls+ that are all open source.
>> (Untangle is open source with some closed source options)  If you use
>> m0n0wall, you can use the captive portal to track bandwidth among each
>> other.  It will keep hard feelings down.  If you use pfsense, you can
>> include a proxy to reduce bandwidth directly.  If you use Untangle, the
>> spam and web filters can drop bandwidth as well.  (Note that I am a dev
>> on m0n0wall and Untangle, and pfsense is a fork of m0n0wall)
> I agree that a mature firewall "distro" is an essential part of the
> solution Wikus ought to work towards.

I think the guys covered most of your other requirements, however for
your Router/server simply install ubuntu(server),login via ssh and
install webmin and use Linux firewall(Iptables) easy.
 From there, proxy traffic and as somebody suggested, use a static IP
addresses under the windows machines and Mis-enter the gateway addy's.

This will give you a great platform, to add further admin-apps ,QOS, etc.
Have fun
Wayne A