[ubuntu-za] Swap partition failure

michael graaf m_graaf at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 27 13:20:04 BST 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:19:16 -0500, Lee Sharp wrote:

>michael graaf wrote:
>> following my email earlier today, I did attempt installation with manual
>> deletion and re-creation of the swap partition, with the same result.
>> Incidentally the live CD I used this time was Hardy, since the Jaunty
>> disk I used earlier had failed to boot.

>What kind of disk?[followed by discussion of HD diagnostics]
I am presuming from conducting the tests suggested by Andy R that the HD is OK.

>Also, many linux boot disks will use swap if they find one, unless you
>unmount it...
This is not a mere boot disk but one specifically meant to offer installation, which has successfully
done so on the same machine. As I explained at the start of the thread, I was in the process of a
reinstall.

To date I am still running only live sessions, and the owner of the machine is restless that the XP
partition is not accessible (it's not his main machine, or he'd be more than restless!).

To add to my original description of my problem: during the aborted reinstalls, the partitioning tool
detects the XP and old Jaunty partitions, so presumably they are intact (except for whatever causes
the creation of new swap partition to fail, and abort the install). So, presumably, if I could restore
the boot table, or whatever controls booting, I might be able to resume normal booting. Any
suggestions?

thanks in anticipation
Michael