[ubuntu-za] [Re: Re: Ubuntu Beginner]

Arnold Pietersen arnoldp at flossnet.org.za
Sat Jun 20 17:50:23 BST 2009

Gareth McNaughton wrote:
> Arnold Pietersen wrote:
>> Gareth McNaughton wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I have been using windows since its inception so I am, I think,
>>> reasonably at home with windows and all of its programs etc.
>>>
>>> Some time ago I updated to Vista and as a result became totally
>>> ********** off with the system. So I have obtained a copy of Ubuntu
>>> 9.04 Desktop Edition from Canonical and have installed it on a spare
>>> PC which has XP installed. I chose to install Ubuntu inside windows
>>> as I didn't want to clean the PC just yet.
>>>
>>> The PC is a P4 Celeron with 1m Ram, 80meg HD and DVD. I use Iburst
>>> Wireless to connect to the Internet via UTD Desktop Modem.
>>>
>>> I have loaded Ubunu with out any problem and those programs that were
>>> installed by default seems to run OK. However I cannot get the modem
>>> to connect, in fact I'm not sure if the modem is recognised. From
>>> searches on the net, from my main PC, it seems that the Modem should
>>> use the RJ45(ethernet) connection rather than the USB. I have changed
>>> from USB to RJ45 and I am still able to connect to the Web via
>>> windows so the modem connection is working.
>>>  From the “How to” directory on the Wiki.Ubuntu-za web site I have
>>> read the article on setting up an Iburst modem on Ubuntu _Intrepid._
>>> Is Intrepid the same as 9.04 and are the instructions still valid?
>>>

>>> I realise that the Linux systems use a completely different approach
>>> than windows so I am struggling to understand some of the commands
>>> which seem to be simialar to Windows Command line instructions. For
>>> instance in the Iburst Modem How To set up, it says - “sudo apt-get
>>> install linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic'.
>>>

>>> Question: from where do I do this command?
>>>

>>> Any help would be gratefully accepted.
>>>

>>> Gareth
>>>

>> Hi Gareth
>>
>> Do you have a USB or an Ethernet iBurst broadband modem?
>>
>> Arnold

>> 270.12.80/2187 - Release Date: 06/19/09 06:53:00
>>

> Hi Arnold
>
> Thanks for the reply. It is a desktop modem manufactured by Kyocera and
> known as a UTD. It was supplied and installed by an IBurst reseller and
> set up for Windows. When it was set up it used the USB socket and I was
> asked at the time if I had a second PC that I wanted connected. This PC
> would connect via the Ethernet connection and would not be able to use
> the fancy IBurst Dashboard software which I gather was/is tied to the
> USB port. So to answer your question it has both connections.
>
> Gareth

Hi Gareth

I have a USB iBurst modem. The following are the steps I use to set it up.

1. Download the driver: ibdriver-1.3.4-linux-2.6.tar.gz from sourgeforge.net

2. In all likelihood the file will be downloaded to your Desktop.
Double-click it to "unzip" it.  A folder named: ibdriver-1.3.4-linux-2.6
will be created on the Desktop.

3. Open a terminal. Applications > Accessories > Terminal

4. Type cd Desktop/ibdriver-1.3.4-linux-2.6 to navigate to the folder

5. Type: make

6. Type: sudo make install

7. Type: sudo pppoeconf

ib0 should appear in the list.

Follow the prompts.  At one stage you will have to type your username
and password.

8. Type: sudo pon dsl-provider

You should be connected.

I hope this helps

Cheers

ARNOLD
FLOSSNet - www.flossnet.org.za
-- Unlocking the potential of free/libre and open source software --