[ubuntu-za] Virtualization on Ubuntu

Walter Leibbrandt walter+ubuntuza at translate.org.za
Wed Jun 10 15:03:48 BST 2009

Wikus Cornelius wrote:
> I want to use some virtualization environment at home to evaluate and
> test differed operating systems (windows and different Linux
> distributions). I have done some googleing on Xen, VirtualBox and Kvm,
> but I would like some advice and recommendations from people with
> experience on the mailing list. My criteria is ease of use, network
> support a must and usb support a plus. I am probably not going to run
> any processing intensive applications. We are using Vmware at work so if
> I can find one that can import Vmware images easily it will be an
> advantage. I have installed Vmware player, but it is a bit limited. I
> will be using Ubuntu for the host OS.

My experience is very limited, but here it is: I use Virtualbox to test
our software on a few different distro's (Hardy, Jaunty and SuSE 11,
atm) and I can't believe how easy it was to setup. Creating a VM is as
simple clicking "New" and "Next" a couple of times, putting in the
distro CD (or ISO) and starting it up. Everything just worked with no
extra setup required.

I can't really say anything about the other environments, but I'll be
surprised if they are easier to setup/use.

--
Walter Leibbrandt                  Software Developer
Recent blogs: