[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 9/04 install - resize partition option missing

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 4 20:32:52 BST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:33, Trevor Hughes <linux at thewildfig.co.za> wrote:
> I am trying to get Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a friends laptop. I
> defragged the C: in Windows XP Home and ran a chkdsk /f which found
> and fixed some errors.
>
> I booted up Ubuntu 9.04 using the USB boot option and statred the
> install. When it comes to the partitioner part, it correclty
> recognizes Windows XP home as being intallied on hda1 with just 8mb
> free space.

Correctly recognises Windows, but is the 8MB free space correct?
There's no point in freeing up 8MB for a Linux partition... so I think
the installer is correct in not offering you a resize if that's what
it thinks is free...

Perhaps there is something marked as immovable at the end of the disk?
You should be able to see that in defrag, even if you can't do
something about it... IIRC the Windows swap file can't be moved.
Perhaps that can be deactivated and deleted and defragged again.
http://www.mytechguide.com/156/how-to-optimize-virtual-memory-swap-file-in-windows/