[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 9/04 install - resize partition option missing

Trevor Hughes linux at thewildfig.co.za
Thu Jun 4 11:33:41 BST 2009

I am trying to get Ubuntu 9.04 installed on a friends laptop. I
defragged the C: in Windows XP Home and ran a chkdsk /f which found
and fixed some errors.

I booted up Ubuntu 9.04 using the USB boot option and statred the
install. When it comes to the partitioner part, it correclty
recognizes Windows XP home as being intallied on hda1 with just 8mb
free space.

The only options I get are to use the whole disk (with the warning
that WIndows will be removed) or to use the biggest area of free space
or to manually partition.

The option to resize the windows partiton and install Ubuntu side by
side is missing. I went to the advanced option thinking there might be
a way to resize and I could not fins it.

The NTFS partition mounts fine while running the Live USB session

Is that option missing from 9.04 - I remember installing 7.10 next to
Vista flawless and it resized the partition automatically.

I guess I am going to have to boot up the usb and used gparted to
manually resize before running the installation.

SO I basically want o know is htis a problem with this NTFS partition
or has this functionality been removed.

Thanks

trev