[ubuntu-za] Stupid me, fried motherboard testing ancient and most venerable linux

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Tue Jul 21 16:41:41 BST 2009

Stupidity,

Not content with letting a Windows 95 setup be, and thinking I could do
a lot better by putting a minimal install of Ubuntu and dropping in
IceWM or LXDE, I have now fried the motherboard.

It was all working fine. I put in an ethercard and booted up but was
interrupted. Then when I tried to do the install again, damn machine
insisted on using etherboot. could not get out of the loop, and would
probably have to flash to the rom since old bios and one thing lead to
another. There I was hauling out the motherboard, cheking manufacturer
details, the whole caboodle, when  I realise I  need to verify  from the
system bios,  /I plugged in the board, which was not grounded and it
shorted by connecting with the metal casing.

/Bang goes the project. Now I have to explain to the person whose
computer it is, and who lives in Gugs, that they will never see their
Windows 95 on the 188 mhz P11 with 49mb memory again, because the board
is dead, green light but not even a beep when memory out. RIP VX Pro
Ultra DMA 30

It will cost about R350 to buy a second hand machine and some air
freshener to clear the fumes from the short.

Totally broke, so I am appealing to Ubuntu Loco. Anybody have a spare
machine, or working socket 7 board they can part with, Y2k is also fine.

Thanks

David Lewis.

--
888          8 8