[ubuntu-za] Graphs on website

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Jul 21 10:02:40 BST 2009

Just some feedback for those that might be interested...

I found an excellent open source tool for doing charts on a web server:
Flot --> http://code.google.com/p/flot/

It is javascript based and works on FireFox, Opera, Sahara, etc.  (It
comes with no surprise that there is "special" catering for Internet
Exploder!)  And it is very easy to use.

It solves four of my major problems:

- Works as-is on both my Ubuntu Desktop and the embedded pc
So development and target environment works exactly the same

- No connection to the Internet is required
All files are hosted by the server/device and will work on a stand-alone
network

- No additional server-side libraries are required
The additional libraries are javascript which is simply "hosted" to the
client.  In other words... I don't need to cross-compile anything for
the embedded platform.

- Requires no additional processing
The client browser does all the graphics.  The embedded devices are
typically 500Mhz and can't spend too much time creating graphics.

The downside is that slow clients with very old browsers might be slow
or might not show the graphs.

Regard
Charl