[ubuntu-za] TV capture card

Stefan Lesicnik stefan at lsd.co.za
Fri Jul 17 22:19:44 BST 2009

> In that folder I find a file called Kconfig which shows, amongst other
> things:
>
> config VIDEO_SAA7134
>        tristate "Philips SAA7134 support"
>        depends on VIDEO_DEV && PCI && I2C && INPUT
>        select VIDEOBUF_DMA_SG
>        select VIDEO_IR
>        select VIDEO_TUNER
>        select VIDEO_TVEEPROM
>        select CRC32
>        ---help---
>          This is a video4linux driver for Philips SAA713x based
>          TV cards.
>
>          To compile this driver as a module, choose M here: the
>          module will be called saa7134.
>
> The instruction to compile the driver is greek to me. What does "choose
> M here" mean?

Although I don't know what is required to get the card working,
typically on Ubuntu you shouldn't be recompiling kernels. 'M' means
module (kernel module) which would be loaded with insmod or modprobe.
Typically Ubuntu has all of these already located in
/lib/modules/kernel-version.

Devices should automatically be picked up and the corresponding module
loaded, if not, you can try modprobe modulename

Stefan