[ubuntu-za] php sendmail

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Tue Jul 14 21:58:03 BST 2009

Hi Guys

I feel silly asking such a basic question here, but I'm struggling to
figure out how to do a basic configuration... it's been a long day!
After two hours of reading I'm overloaded with over-complex explanations
and I still can't find a simple straight-forward guide.

I want to use PHP to send an e-mail using my personal e-mail account.
Getting the right PHP modules as well as writing the PHP code is as easy
as can be.

However setting up the transport is not.  I started with sendmail, but
got lost completely.  I then figured out that Postfix was a much simpler
tool, but still can't do it.

I know my e-mail address, stmp server name, username and password, i.e.
the basics you need to get Evolution/Thunderbird/ect to send an e-mail.
But how do I set up Postfix to do the same so I can send an e-mail from
PHP (or the command line for that matter).

A kick towards a simple howto would be great if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks
Charl