[ubuntu-za] Applications on Ubuntu repositories

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 18:51:27 BST 2009

I mounted Gimp on my wife's XP notebook and was a bit chagrined to
find that it was version 2.6 while I have been running on 2.4  on my
Hardy 08.04 LTS.

This is the second time this has happened - I had the same experience
with Open Office.

Open Office 3 was comparatively easy to install on 08.04, but Gimp
sounds much more risky as it involves adding a new repository to get
the new version and then taking that repository away in case it causes
other problems.