[ubuntu-za] Sun Java on Ubuntu

Stefan Lesicnik stefan at lsd.co.za
Wed Jul 8 08:28:24 BST 2009

> Thanks.  I will have a look.
>
> I know that you can install directly from the repositories.  I am just
> trying to avoid reinstalling as it has already been done.

This hasn't really been done. If you installed the .bin from the
website, you bypassed all ubuntu system integration. This may include
ubuntu specific changes to other applications to make java work.
You also dont have the updates to java and ubuntu security updates for java.

I would still recommend installed from repo.

ubuntu-restricted-extras is a nice package with the java's, video
codecs etc  (may be lots of bandwidth thou).

Stefan