[ubuntu-za] bzr nested trees

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Fri Jul 3 13:16:10 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 13:43 +0200, Marius Kruger wrote:
> 2009/7/3 Charl Wentzel <charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za>:
> > Thanks Marius.
> >
> > That's too bad.  Git already has working submodules, but it lacks the native
> > recursive operations that is proposed for bzr.  I guess I'll just have to
> > wait. then.
>
> I've used one of the alternatives before:
> https://launchpad.net/bzr-scmproj
> but I assume that will go away once nested-trees/composite-trees is
> fully functional

I must admit that this is where git seems to have the upperhand... for
now at least.  Their solution is already working (submodules) and is
quite easy to setup.

The problem with submodules however is that it lacks native recursive
functions, as promised by bzr nested trees, i.e. if you commit your
project it does not automatically commit the submodules, or even check
that they are commited first.  Same applies to checking out or
branching, it doesn't checkout the submodules. I could only find some
crude bash scripts to perform recursive operations, but is by no means
robust.

The git gui doesn't seem to implement submodules at all!  So it is down
to careful command line operations.

If anybody knows of a better solution, I would love to hear it.

Regards
Charl