[ubuntu-za] bzr nested trees

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 02:35:27 BST 2009

hi

2009/7/2 Charl Wentzel <charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za>

> Hi Guys
>
> Has anybody done nested trees on bzr yet?

I haven't

> I tried to use it on the latest stable release (1.61) but it seems this is only available in the development version.  Can anybody confirm this?

As far as I can tell "not all of the nested-trees work has been merged yet."
This is the latest thread on the bazaar mailing list on this topic:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/bazaar/2009q3/060130.html
(I had to go dig a bit, as I've been a little out of touch since
coming back from holiday)

There is definitely some things that have not landed yet (see below)
So there might be some support but everything might not be there yet.

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~abentley/bzr/nested-trees-composite-tree/+merge/6264
interesting excerpt from there:
================
1268=== added file 'doc/developers/nested-trees.txt'
1269--- doc/developers/nested-trees.txt 1970-01-01 00:00:00 +0000
1270+++ doc/developers/nested-trees.txt 2009-05-06 18:02:20 +0000
1271@@ -0,0 +1,28 @@
1272+Nested Trees Implementation
1273+###########################
1274+
1275+CompositeTree
1276+-------------
1277+CompositeTree is a shim to enable subtree support for certain commands.
1278+
1279+It is constructed from a Tree (typically a RevisionTree or
WorkingTree) and a
1280+Branch. It provides an alternate view of the Tree and its
subtrees, in which
1281+the subtrees and their contents appear to be part of the root
tree. The roots
1282+of subtrees are presented as directories, not as tree references.
1283+
1284+It can be used with export, diff and status. It should be tested with every
1285+command that uses it, because it is not guaranteed to be a complete
1286+implementation of the Tree API. It is not suitable as input to
operations that
1287+must know about the locations of subtrees, such as revert.
1288+
1289+
1290+NestedTrees
1291+-----------
1292+NestedTrees is an API providing access to a set of nested trees.
It is able to
1293+convert paths and file-ids into references to specific Trees. It provides
1294+caching, to avoid retrieving the same Tree multiple times. It provides
1295+locking, to ensure trees are locked and unlocked at appropriate times.
1296+
1297+It is used by CompositeTree, and is a recommended API for all
other operations.
1298+It is expected to acquire more capabilities as the needs of sets of nested
1299+trees become clearer.