[ubuntu-za] Introduction to C programming in Ubuntu

Ludolph ludolph at openhazel.co.za
Wed Jul 1 09:57:51 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Stefan Lesicnik<stefan at lsd.co.za> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Charl
> Wentzel<charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
>> Hi Guys
>>
>> Firstly, let me say I have thoroughly enjoyed the Packaging Jam on
>> Saturday.  This got me thinking about doing the same on other topics.
>>
>> >From experience I know that there are plenty of guys out there that want
>> to do development in Linux but don't know:
>> - where to start,
>> - what's available,
>> - what to choose
>> This includes newbies to programming, ex-Windoze programmers, etc, etc.
>>
>> I recently changed my whole development environment and learnt a whole
>> bunch of new tools that revitalised my development process.  I'm so
>> excited about this I would like to present a session of my own to
>> anybody that's interested.
>>
>> This would be an Introductory session (preferably on a Saturday) to
>> present some of the tools that I know.  For example:
>>
>> - Language: C++
>> - Type of application: Command line tools
>> - IDE: Eclipse + CDT
>> - Tools: Cmake, Valgrind
>> - VCS: Bazaar
>>
>> I know you can spend a day on each of these, but the idea here is to
>> introduce someone to a whole environment which they could then continue
>> to learn and master on their own.
>>
>> Also important; this is not my attempt to push certain options over
>> other and I don't want to get involved in flame wars over which tool is
>> better than the other.  This is merely an attempt to INTRODUCE ONE
>> POSSIBLE WAY OF DOING C++ DEVELOPMENT IN UBUNTU
>>
>> If you feel strongly about another language or another tool why don't
>> you offer to present your own session!  In fact, I would applaud that!!!
>> Or come along and tell us about it.
>>
>> The cost of training courses and outside of the reach of normal
>> hobbiest.  So a community effort like this would be ideal for a lot of
>> guys.  And if we have more sessions like this on simmilar topics our
>> local community would become an incubator for Ubuntu contributors.
>>
>> I'll provide some Intrepid CD's for those who do not have a working
>> installation yet and help them install it before session... a quick Wubi
>> install if necessary.
>>
>> What I need is a venue.  Any offers?
>>
>> Of course anybody is welcome!  Whether your new at programming,
>> ex-Windoze, or experienced and would like to know more about one of
>> those tools.
>>
>> I'm not going to pretend that I know everything, so guys with experience
>> that can help answer questions and just talk to the newbies would be a
>> great plus!
>>
>> Anybody interested in coming?  Even if just 2 guys/girls come it would
>> be worth it.  Can I start a Wiki page on the Ubuntu-za site?
>

> Hey Charl!
>
> This sounds awesome and I would def be keen to attend! (I am a newbie
> programmer!).
>
> The venue we used for the package jam is defiantly available, and I
> [...]

+1

I would also love to attend something like this.

Carl can you maybe supply us with the packages we must install before
hand? So that we can maybe play around with it and ask question at the
end of the session.

Also will you be using Eclipse that is in the Ubuntu Repos or one from
the eclipse website, and is it somewhere on a local mirror?

Regards,

--
Ludolph Neethling
mobile: +27 (0) 79 898 3650