[ubuntu-za] Introduction to C programming in Ubuntu

Charl Wentzel charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za
Wed Jul 1 09:30:32 BST 2009

Hi Guys

Firstly, let me say I have thoroughly enjoyed the Packaging Jam on
Saturday.  This got me thinking about doing the same on other topics.

>From experience I know that there are plenty of guys out there that want
to do development in Linux but don't know:
- where to start,
- what's available,
- what to choose
This includes newbies to programming, ex-Windoze programmers, etc, etc.

I recently changed my whole development environment and learnt a whole
bunch of new tools that revitalised my development process.  I'm so
excited about this I would like to present a session of my own to
anybody that's interested.

This would be an Introductory session (preferably on a Saturday) to
present some of the tools that I know.  For example:

- Language: C++
- Type of application: Command line tools
- IDE: Eclipse + CDT
- Tools: Cmake, Valgrind
- VCS: Bazaar

I know you can spend a day on each of these, but the idea here is to
introduce someone to a whole environment which they could then continue
to learn and master on their own.

Also important; this is not my attempt to push certain options over
other and I don't want to get involved in flame wars over which tool is
better than the other.  This is merely an attempt to INTRODUCE ONE

If you feel strongly about another language or another tool why don't
you offer to present your own session!  In fact, I would applaud that!!!
Or come along and tell us about it.

The cost of training courses and outside of the reach of normal
hobbiest.  So a community effort like this would be ideal for a lot of
guys.  And if we have more sessions like this on simmilar topics our
local community would become an incubator for Ubuntu contributors.

I'll provide some Intrepid CD's for those who do not have a working
installation yet and help them install it before session... a quick Wubi
install if necessary.

What I need is a venue.  Any offers?

Of course anybody is welcome!  Whether your new at programming,
ex-Windoze, or experienced and would like to know more about one of
those tools.

I'm not going to pretend that I know everything, so guys with experience
that can help answer questions and just talk to the newbies would be a
great plus!

Anybody interested in coming?  Even if just 2 guys/girls come it would
be worth it.  Can I start a Wiki page on the Ubuntu-za site?

For those interested in my background:

I've been programming since Std 7 (20 years to date).  I started doing
development in Linux 7 years ago for embedded systems.  I switched to
Ubuntu about a year ago.

I now have my own business doing embedded system development for serial
device interfaces, networking applications (web services) and
web-enabled databases applications.  So pretty much low-level stuff, not

The tools I know include:
Language: C++, PHP
IDE: Kdevelop3, Eclipse + CDT, Quanta Plus
Database: MySQL
Other: MySQL, Valgrind, Cachegrind, Cmake, CVS (+Cervicia), Git, Bazaar

I know a few more languages/tools for Windoze, but they don't matter