[ubuntu-za] Post intrepid 'no sound' problem - ALSA, PulseAudio, & drivers

Péter Nel petern2 at openweb.co.za
Wed Jan 14 14:20:51 GMT 2009

Hi Chris.

Master does abs. nothing. I can even mute it. I would like to know how
to fix it - but not to the point of doing a clean install. I wouldn't
know what went wrong anyway.

My PC system specs (lazy way):
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor    : 0
vendor_id    : AuthenticAMD
cpu family    : 6
model        : 10
model name    : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
stepping    : 0
cpu MHz        : 1920.984
cache size    : 512 KB
fdiv_bug    : no
hlt_bug        : no
f00f_bug    : no
coma_bug    : no
fpu        : yes
fpu_exception    : yes
cpuid level    : 1
wp        : yes
flags        : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up
bogomips    : 3841.96
clflush size    : 32
power management: ts

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IGP2 (rev c1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 1
(rev c1)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 4
(rev c1)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 3
(rev c1)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 2
(rev c1)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Memory Controller 5
(rev c1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 ISA Bridge (rev a4)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation nForce2 SMBus (MCP) (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:02.2 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 USB Controller (rev a4)
00:04.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 Ethernet
Controller (rev a1)
00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AC97
Audio Controler (MCP) (rev a1)
00:08.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 External PCI Bridge
(rev a3)
00:09.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation nForce2 IDE (rev a2)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation nForce2 AGP (rev c1)
01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP
[Radeon 9600]
02:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV350 AP [Radeon
9600] (Secondary)

$ cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:       514296 kB
MemFree:         38920 kB

I forget the mobo manufacturer

Péter Nel
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
deserve neither liberty nor security"
           - Benjamin Franklin