[ubuntu-za] [Fwd: Re: Post intrepid 'no sound' problem - ALSA, PulseAudio, & drivers]

CM Schoonbee cmschoonbee at mweb.co.za
Wed Jan 14 12:59:22 GMT 2009

Hi Peter,

Looking at your mixer list below, you may have the same sort of problem
I have with every Ubuntu install on one of my laptops since I got it. (A
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo).  There is no sound after installation although
applications like Rhythmbox, Totem give no complaints and indicate that
they are playing my music track.

Fortunately, the workaround is simple.  ( I must find out the permanent
fix so the installation configures sound correctly from the start-
something to do with an alsa module option model parameter and get it
fixed upstream.)

Anyway, to get back to your problem and a possible solution.  I see that
both your Surround and Center channels are muted.  I am fairly sure that
you have to unmute one of these.  While playing a music track, try
unmuting each in turn, not forgetting to turn up the volume on that
channel as well and see what happens.  On my laptop I have to unmute the
Surround channel.

Try the steps below for Intrepid:
(If you have played around with your sound (uninstalled, installed other
sound programs etc) this may not work.  If all else fails, try it from a
default install.)

Right-click on volume applet in top right panel (the speaker icon)
Click "Open Volume Control" menu item
Click "Preferences" button
Check the "Surround" and "Center" boxes.
Close the dialog boxes

If you get sound, you can try unchecking one of the boxes to see which
one is not really needed.

Good luck.
Chris Schoonbee