[ubuntu-za] Laptop

Simon Cross hodgestar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 07:42:18 GMT 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Charl Wentzel
<charl.wentzel at vodamail.co.za> wrote:
> I have an Acer 5720Z laptop.  It works great with Ubuntu except for a few
> minor issues:
>
> - It does sleep/hibernate when I close the lid.  In fact it doesn't seem to
> detect the lid at all.

Have you looked at the settings in the power management preferences?
System > Preferences > Power Management in the Gnome menus,
gnome-power-preferences from the command line.

> - I can't switch to an external screen for doing a presentation.  However it
> does detect an external screen on booting up but then size and placement of
> the upper and lower menu bars change.

Have you fiddled around with xrandr? Also available via a gui under
System > Preferences > Screen Resolution.

Schiavo
Simon