[ubuntu-za] Ekiga and Pigeon local setup.

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 18 08:35:34 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 21:10, David Robert Lewis
<ethnopunk at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> Does anyone have the local settings for Pigeon and Ekiga, I only have
> local bandwidth and can't access international sites outside of co.za
> domain. :-)Thanks

Pidgin can use various different protocols, some of which might not
have local servers. Which one are you using? XMPP (Jabber)? There are
local Jabber servers, but I'm not sure which to recommend.

Ekiga uses SIP (AFAIK) so you'd need a local SIP server.

In both cases, your "address" would change, so just like changing your
email address you'll have a new IM / VoIP address.

> PS Ubuntu is still the best distribution! And am sorry to hear that one
> of the ZA members took his own life. Perhaps this is an opportunity to
> mention that I am a volunteer at  the Ubuntu Centre for Treatment
> Alternatives in Mental Health and Psychrights Advocacy in Maitland.
> Suicide is an  existential and phenominological issue and not enough is
> being done about existential psychology when people all too readily
> reach for medication or labelling problems with living as illness.
>
> Anyway, enough said. We plan to implement Ubuntu as a means to alleviate
> the biggest cause of psychosocial problems in our community i.e poverty.
> Ubuntu can help us all to get out of the techology trap of perpetual
> hardware upgrades  and solve the digital divide where those caught on
> the wrong side no longer have any say in the future. Hope this reaches
> you all since I am using a new email from Telkom, your service provider
> for life.

This email did reach the list... In the interests of mental health
I'll refrain from commenting on your new service provider :)

Regards
Morgan