[ubuntu-za] Strange Boot Behaviour

wez wesley.werner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 11:54:22 GMT 2009

Hi Tim

Check your system has the amount of RAM it's supposed to have, ie it's not
'missing' any?

The output shows a "low memory corruption" and honestly Im not too sure why
on the details. There is a discussion about this issue at
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1106037 with links to a launchpad
bug that might be what you're experiencing. Since your syste worked until
the update, it might point to a bug. But do not rule out hardware failure
either, sometimes bad timing just happens between updates.

If its the bios, I would replace the BIOS battery and check the vendor's
site for firmware updates too. These lines show your DVD drive is detected,
but the bios issue might affect it being usable by Ubuntu

[  116.543868] scsi 2:0:0:0: CD-ROM            HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM
GSA-H55L 1.05 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
[  116.548000] sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 48x/48x writer dvd-ram cd/rw
xa/form2 cdda tray