[ubuntu-za] Samsung external DVD writer not seen in Karmic

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Sun Dec 20 20:48:06 GMT 2009

Robin Bownes wrote:

> I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, I specifically bought a USB-powered-only
> drive so that I could use it on the move. So much for that idea.

Get a USB device charger, and plug the non-data cable into that.  Or,
see if you have another USB port on a different power rail.

> Thanks for the help. Any idea why my notebook cannot supply enough power
> even though I'm using both USB ports?

A laptop will do all it can to save power.  In some cases, the USB ports
even all share the same power rail.  Spinning a CD takes a bit of power.
  Some times you need to boost what you have.  I have an 80gig 2.5 inch
USB hard drive that will work on almost all desktops, and some laptops,
but not on others.

			Lee