[ubuntu-za] Samsung external DVD writer not seen in Karmic

Robin Bownes robin at ncedatrust.org.za
Fri Dec 18 19:07:53 GMT 2009

I have just bought a Samsung SE-S084 external USB DVD writer because the
DVD drive in my notebook (Compaq nx9000) is shot. However, Karmic does
not recognise the drive. The 'Computer' folder sometimes displays an
icon for a CD/DVD drive, but even this icon appears and disappears from
one second to another. Is there a drive necessary? I was under the
impression that a USB drive should actually just work.

Please help, and since I'm still relatively new to Linux, please keep
the instructions really basic and step-by-step. Thanks.

Robin