[ubuntu-za] dpkg returned an error code (1)

David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Dec 16 15:26:12 GMT 2009

Lee Sharp wrote:
> David Robert Lewis (ethnopunk) wrote:

>>> I have been seeing a lot of these dependency problems the last few
>>> months...  There is a bug, but I am not sure where.
>>>
>>> 			Lee
>>>

>> A visualizer or some way to graphically see what is going on in the
>> system might help us solve these dependency problems. It's probably a
>> bug in dpkg.
>>

> I can see it in Synaptic.  In Update Manager or "apt-get upgrade" it
> will fail, and in Synaptic it will remove and add the same package
> rather than upgrade.  I have seen this several times.
>
> 			Lee

Yes we can see it, but we can't see the relatedness of the whole system.
What I want is a visualisation or abstraction of the entire setup to see
where various projects are building and what the likely outcome of all
this code is going to be. For example, which projects are bulking up,
and which ones are making good use of resources. I know all of this can
be seen in various ways, but nothing in a holistic way.

-DRL