[ubuntu-za] DVD+RW-FORMAT

vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Mon Aug 31 14:18:19 BST 2009

On Monday 31 August 2009 12:07:55 Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:

> The block device is the actual *device*, the DVD itself, not the place
> where it is mounted.  In Linux (and Unix), everything is a file.  So
> if you want to access the mouse, you read/write to the
> /dev/input/mouse0 file.  This way, you can use the standard
> open/close/read/write commands that you use for normal files, to
> access devices.  Very clever.
>
> Anyway, when you mount a DVD, you mount it on a directory on your
> filesystem.  So, the DVD is on /dev/cdrom, and you mount this on
> /media/cdrom0.  Your dvd+rw tool wants the actual device, so as Charl
> says, try /dev/dvd or /dev/cdrom.

Hi Jonathan/Charl,

Thanks so much for your reply's & help. I've learn't from this but am I right
in thinking that this was a bit of a mission impossible?

When I select dev/dvd or dev/cdrom, I get the same result. "Mounted media
doesn't appear to be DVD+/-RW,DVD-Ram, Blu-ray"

I'm now assuming that my DVD+R cannot be formated & should be a DVD+/-RW. Is
this correct?

Vince