[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu Township Outreach

Hilton Theunissen hilton at inkululeko.co.za
Sun Aug 30 15:24:29 BST 2009

SAMS and Schooltool

SAMS is a National department of education funded software for use by
all schools.  Developed using VB and other crap, it only runs on
windows. Implementation projects are running through out the country.
KZN rolling out admin pc/laptops to 1800 schools, limpopo to 600+
schools, wcape and nwest is a head of the pack, freestate doing
training, ncape and ecape struggling. local education department funding
training of educators.

Schooltool- in 2002 I was introduced to this program whiles consulting
to the Shuttleworth Foundation. During 2003-2006 we tried introducing
the program to SA school with huge failure.  With respect to our efforts
Schooltool also went through several software development challenges.
However under leadership of Tom Hofman, the program progressed very
well, sadly not in SA.  Where no school management system exist,
Schooltool is  a great option.