[ubuntu-za] Adobe and SARS e-filing

Neil Muller neil at dip.sun.ac.za
Mon Aug 24 13:23:12 BST 2009

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:54:47PM +0200, Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 12:46 PM, David Robert
> Lewis<ethnopunk at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> > Any surprise that SARS is FOSS-unfriendly?
>
> Since there aren't any open source PDF apps that support forms and
> form-submissions

This claim is a little out of date. libpoppler started supporting PDF
forms during the runup to version 0.7 (released Feb 2008), evince
support for this was merged into mainline late in 2007, IIRC.

This is probably not enough to support SARS e-filing, though. IIRC, SARS
produces pdfs using several PDF 1.7 features, and libpoppler's support
for that spec is still somewhat flakey (although I haven't looked closely
at the progress recently).

Neil Muller  email: neil at dip.sun.ac.za

Division Applied Mathematics, Department of Mathematical Sciences
University of Stellenbosch