[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Thu Apr 30 07:23:16 BST 2009

>> In fact I am in the process of
>> recovering data from a brand new 500GB second hard-drive that I
>> formatted NTFS hoping this would be safe, and now turns out there are
>> bad sectors and I will probably have to return it.

Use http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html to recover your
hard drive. You can use stop and continue the copy process. There is
also an option to tell it "start to copy at 10GB and copy 50GB
thereafter". That way you can copy the whole hard drive around the
problem areas without losing info. Make sure you use a logfile when you
copy the drive because that will add all the pieces you copy together
and remember where the bad blocks are. The rest of the options available
are described in the help files. I recovered 99.99% of my data on the
last drive thatt did not even mount and dd could not copy. There is also
testdisk for partition recovery. Hope this helps.

> I wish Ubuntu would default with a /home partition.
> I can dream ;-)

It would save me the trouble of doing it manually every time. Didn't
someone say it will be implemented in 9.04? Not sure where I've read
that though.

Hannes