[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Apr 29 21:53:10 BST 2009

Hilton Gibson wrote:
> David Robert Lewis wrote:
>
>> Hilton Gibson wrote:

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Check out: http://www.ubuntu.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/ReInstall for
>>> some tips.
>>>

>>>  Hoping for some

>> Sorry Hilton, any instruction which begins with: "Step One. Set up a
>> separate home partition"  is a recipe for disaster. Having completely
>> bombed out recently because of a partition failure I know what it is
>> like to spend hours recovering data. In fact I am in the process of
>> recovering data from a brand new 500GB second hard-drive that I
>> formatted NTFS hoping this would be safe, and now turns out there are
>> bad sectors and I will probably have to return it. So no, the whole
>> partition idea is straight out of the arc.  Step One. Start a new VM.
>> There is hope in virtualisation.
>>
> Hi.
> I wish Ubuntu would default with a /home partition.
> I can dream ;-)
>
>> -D
>>
>> PS Hi Raol, yes I do worry about the ability of small developers to keep
>> up with the pace of change. It's no biggy missing an app that is just a
>> curiosity, but if it performs a function for which you get paid, well,
>> you're like stuffed. Then there projects which haven't managed to get
>> out of the stable because there are no developers on the Ubuntu-side
>> worrying about Cinelerra for instance. I wish the MOTU himself Mark
>> Shuttleworth was more concerned with interoperability and platform
>> stability than boot times. It is an indictment on Ubuntu that there is
>> still no system sound equaliser. I can't pop out a basic panel that sees
>> to treble and that kind of thing, so yes, ogle worries me.

/home as standard in a separate partition would be nice. not having to
worry about re-installing ever again and having your upgrade paths all
worked out by a supercomputer, that would be even better. Karmic Koala
seems to be heading towards the Cloud, and maybe we'll never have to
worry about data backups ever again. What I want is a computer that is a
a member of the family like a pet dog. Capable of following you around
on the net and dissassembling itself and re-assembling as the hardware
moves around, without ever worrying about bandwidth or data loss. If we
all get fibre, we'll have a ball of a time. ;)