[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Apr 29 21:11:53 BST 2009

Hilton Gibson wrote:
> David Robert Lewis wrote:

>>> Yes, you have to go to Ibex and then Jaunty, and can not skip.
>>>
>>> As to programs, I know ogle is missing from the Jaunty repos...  It
>>> is the only player I have that plays from a hard drive rip with full
>>> menu support.
>>>
>>>             Lee
>>>

>> Are you saying that I would have to re-install directly from the
>> Repos, each individual programme? Is the system intelligent enough to
>> figure out what needs to change and what can stay the same?
> Hi
>
> Check out: http://www.ubuntu.sun.ac.za/wiki/index.php/ReInstall for
> some tips.
>

>  Hoping for some
>> intelligence especially with low-bandwidth. Never done this so its a
>> great mystery.

Sorry Hilton, any instruction which begins with: "Step One. Set up a
separate home partition"  is a recipe for disaster. Having completely
bombed out recently because of a partition failure I know what it is
like to spend hours recovering data. In fact I am in the process of
recovering data from a brand new 500GB second hard-drive that I
formatted NTFS hoping this would be safe, and now turns out there are
bad sectors and I will probably have to return it. So no, the whole
partition idea is straight out of the arc.  Step One. Start a new VM.
There is hope in virtualisation.

-D

PS Hi Raol, yes I do worry about the ability of small developers to keep
up with the pace of change. It's no biggy missing an app that is just a
curiosity, but if it performs a function for which you get paid, well,
you're like stuffed. Then there projects which haven't managed to get
out of the stable because there are no developers on the Ubuntu-side
worrying about Cinelerra for instance. I wish the MOTU himself Mark
Shuttleworth was more concerned with interoperability and platform
stability than boot times. It is an indictment on Ubuntu that there is
still no system sound equaliser. I can't pop out a basic panel that sees
to treble and that kind of thing, so yes, ogle worries me.