[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Apr 29 20:52:25 BST 2009

On Wednesday 29 April 2009 19:08:20 Lee Sharp wrote:
> The lowest bandwidth way to upgrade is with an alt-install disk.  You
> run the upgrade script and it keeps you configuration and upgrades all
> the programs to the distribution version.  It is quite intelligent.  You
> can also do this over the net, but it will download half a gig for each
> upgrade.

Basically, if you use the Alternate CD, it will install as many programs
straight off the CD as possible, and then download the rest from the internet.

> However, some programs are not carried over and you can get poor results
> when they are dropped.  My example of ogle is a program that does not
> exist for Jaunty.  And the Intrepid version may or may not run.  I have
> not yet tested...

This is probably a fairly rare case, since ogle itself is not used widely.
David, I don't think you need to worry about anything like this.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za