[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed Apr 29 18:08:20 BST 2009

David Robert Lewis wrote:

> Are you saying that I would have to re-install directly from the Repos,
> each individual programme? Is the system intelligent enough to figure
> out what needs to change and what can stay the same? Hoping for some
> intelligence especially with low-bandwidth. Never done this so its a
> great mystery.

The lowest bandwidth way to upgrade is with an alt-install disk.  You
run the upgrade script and it keeps you configuration and upgrades all
the programs to the distribution version.  It is quite intelligent.  You
can also do this over the net, but it will download half a gig for each
upgrade.

However, some programs are not carried over and you can get poor results
when they are dropped.  My example of ogle is a program that does not
exist for Jaunty.  And the Intrepid version may or may not run.  I have
not yet tested...

			Lee