[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Apr 29 15:21:41 BST 2009

Quintin van Rooyen wrote:
> Hey All (apologies for top posting - if it is happening - posting from
> cell gmail app)
>
> My experience has been largely positive. Different  to Intrepid I
> needed to reboot before b43-fwcutter configured my network card
> properly and I could connect to an access point.
>
> My (old) Ati graphics card is no longer supported by the fglrx driver
> (though I never had any need for it) and I found that the xorg
> implementation since Hardy has resulted in worse performance with
> every release (no 3d and 600-800 fps with glxgears), for the first
> time in a long time I needed to edit my xorg.Conf to get myself a
> decently performing desktop environment (Planet Penguin Racer @10-11
> fps and 1200-1600fps glxgears)
>
> Compiz works but is unusable as soon as I ave 1or more application
> open, so I settle for gnome-compositing.
>
> Booting is much quicker, and suspend-resume seems improved although I
> had two lockups from resume resulting in me doing a hard reboot.
>
> If you have an older ATI card and want to squiz my xorg.Conf let me know.
>
> On 4/27/09, Vijay Makanjee <vijay at ergo.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> So to avoid the bootup freeze, I took the plunge and upgraded Jaunty.
>>
>> Used the alternate CD -i386 for the job.
>>
>> Worked well on both my production machines
>>
>> Only problem was on the HP laptop dv 6611ie.
>> which has the problem of a broadcom wifi and nvidia graphics card
>>
>> so wifi did not work immediately
>> screen resolution did not work at anything beyond 600x400
>>
>> Also the update did not automatically update menu.list.
>>
>> Solution was simple
>> 1. Manually amend menu.list and insert the new jaunty kernel in the
>> relevant spot
>> 2. installed envyng and it recognised my card and set up resolution
>> 3. wifi then seemed to work as well.
>>
>> now works well.
>>
>> Vijay
>>
>> --

Any advice about backwards compatibility with Hardy programmes? If I
upgrade how much of my system will be lost? How to go about upgrading
from Hardy? Do  I have to upgrade to Ibex first? Reason I am even
considering it, is my pulseaudio got kludged the other night after I
tried to install PSX emulator and was frittering around with it and now
its totally borked. No sound. Hoping I can either undo the damage or
find an upgrade path.

David.

PS: Anyone know if the alternate disks for Ibex and Jaunty are available
via the Freedom Toaster?