[ubuntu-za] i Can't login on Ubuntu

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Wed Apr 29 15:17:16 BST 2009

Quintin van Rooyen wrote:
> 2009/4/27 Etivaldo Victorino <drubadubs at gmail.com
> <mailto:drubadubs at gmail.com>>
>
>     Hi! My names is Dinho and i'm new here.
>

> Hi Dinho.
>

>     A friend of mine recommended me this list ( Artilheiro_Mz) . He
>     introduced me to Ubuntu, and he helps me alot with it. I started
>     to use ubuntu last week.
>     I would like to learn more, because i found that Linux operative
>     system is very interesting.
>
>     A few days ago i had a problem with my Ubuntu. I was using the OS,
>     then i decided to Logout because i was leaving the computer and
>     then a black image came up and nothing was happening...after 8
>     minutes nothing was happening, so i decided to reset the computer.
>     after reseting when i tried to login to ubuntu...after the loading
>     bar a strange image came up. I can't do nothing from there
>     i don't have access to the command line or else. It looks like the
>     GUI is damaged or something like that
>
>     i've attached a picture of how it looks.
>

> Since no-one has taken a bite at this...
>
> The red dots over the top of the screen seems to indicate that either
> your screencard has failed for some reason (or the connection to the
> screen) or your screencard is grossly misconfigured. I have seen
> similar behaviour when my old laptop's screencard came loose and I
> needed to reset it.
>
> To reconfigure your s-server (graphics settings) run this command:
> *sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> Follow the promts as good as you can guestimate your settings should
> be and you should sort out your login.
>
> Please let me know if this has sorted your problem.
>
> *
>
>     i hope some one can help me...
>     Thanks!!! =)
>     --
>

>     --

> Quintin van Rooyen
> 0824772477
> quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com <mailto:quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com>
> The New SA Geek!
> http://blog.sageek.co.za
and you should probably do this by hitting alt-F2 logging in and running
the command. Or by  booting up in recovery mode. You will see the option
if you push ESC when booting. If you  can't come right with dpkg thing
(which never worked for me) then you will have to manually edit the xorg
configuration . Don't have details yet but give us a shout if you don't
come right. :)