[ubuntu-za] jaunty install

Quintin van Rooyen quintin.vanrooyen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 20:01:02 BST 2009

Hey All (apologies for top posting - if it is happening - posting from
cell gmail app)

My experience has been largely positive. Different  to Intrepid I
needed to reboot before b43-fwcutter configured my network card
properly and I could connect to an access point.

My (old) Ati graphics card is no longer supported by the fglrx driver
(though I never had any need for it) and I found that the xorg
implementation since Hardy has resulted in worse performance with
every release (no 3d and 600-800 fps with glxgears), for the first
time in a long time I needed to edit my xorg.Conf to get myself a
decently performing desktop environment (Planet Penguin Racer @10-11
fps and 1200-1600fps glxgears)

Compiz works but is unusable as soon as I ave 1or more application
open, so I settle for gnome-compositing.

Booting is much quicker, and suspend-resume seems improved although I
had two lockups from resume resulting in me doing a hard reboot.

If you have an older ATI card and want to squiz my xorg.Conf let me know.