[ubuntu-za] iPod support

Jan Groenewald jan at aims.ac.za
Wed Apr 22 09:38:47 BST 2009

Hi

On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 10:33:38AM +0200, David Robert Lewis wrote:
> Gosh,
>
> After effortless connectivity with appliances such as my housemates
> digital camera and a bluetooth dongle, I must say I find Ubuntu's iPod
> support atrocious. Firstly there is nothing preinstalled. Secondly, the
> installation of ipod apps like gtkpod is turning into a cumbersome hack.
> I have managed to mount an iPod mini by editing the fstab file, but now
> can't see any of the music, just folders. Anyone here know how to
> install an iPod?

gtkpod is a cumbersome hack because apple wants you to buy a mac
and itunes and...

There are some issues and you may have to jailbreak newer versions of ipods.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9266
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPod
http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/
http://www.ubuntux.org/how-to-use-an-ipod-with-ubuntu
http://allaboutubuntu.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/how-to-make-ubuntu-support-ipods/

The problem is not really ubuntu's, imho, but ipod's closed approach.

regards,
Jan