[ubuntu-za] Update manager

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Mon Apr 20 16:47:05 BST 2009

> Hi Guys
>
> Something funny happened in my Update Manager.  I accidentally ran it
> without begin connected to the network and now have two updates listed
> (Build Essential and g++) which for some reason cannot be installed.  I
> can't event tick them.  Is there to clear this problem?
>
> Regards
> Charl

Type man aptitude in the terminal/konsole. Aptitude has a bunch of
options like "hold, unhold, keep, forbid-version, forget-new" that could
be helpful.

Regards
Hannes

------------------------

To see if I can get more information on why I'm having this problem is ran:

sudo apt-get install g++

and got the following:

   or been moved out of Incoming.

   that package should be filed.

     g++: Depends: cpp (>= 4:4.3.1-1ubuntu2) but 4:4.2.3-1ubuntu6 is to
be installed
          Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.3.1-1ubuntu2) but 4:4.2.3-1ubuntu6 is to
be installed
          Depends: g++-4.3 (>= 4.3.1-1) but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: gcc-4.3 (>= 4.3.1-1) but it is not installable
   E: Broken packages

Similarly I got the following for "build-essential"

     build-essential: Depends: g++ (>= 4:4.3.1) but 4:4.2.3-1ubuntu6 is
to be installed
   E: Broken packages

The build-essential issue is clearly related to the g++ issue.  So
next I'll figure out why gcc-4.3 is not installable and take it
from there.

Charl