[ubuntu-za] Very old computers

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at scorpking.za.org
Mon Apr 20 07:07:23 BST 2009

> Our computer club (here in Kokanje - far in the bushveld) has been
> given, over time, a lot of very old computers. We have eight which may
> still work, but which are so old that it is difficult to know what to
> do with them. They are all "pre-pentium", most do not have CD drives
> of any sort while some (two I think)  have ancient CD readers.  Don't
> ask about USB ports. None of the disk drives seem to work, but we do
> have some spare disks that might be compatible.
>
> Can I make a bootable Xubuntu stiffy? Or is a stiffy just too small?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> There is an insatiable demand for cheap computers up here. But of
> course, they must work!
>
> Bill

Getting a full GUI & apps onto a stiffy is pushing it. I think
Puppylinux are the easiest to use. If you need something smaller you can
try the 10MB TinyCore Linux from http://www.tinycorelinux.com/ .You can
add selected programs like Firefox with extentions/packages to make up a
very basic Linux system.

Regards
Hannes