[ubuntu-za] Very old computers

Alf Stockton alf at stockton.co.za
Sun Apr 19 09:54:53 BST 2009

Bill Cairns wrote:
> Our computer club (here in Kokanje - far in the bushveld) has been
> given, over time, a lot of very old computers. We have eight which may
> still work, but which are so old that it is difficult to know what to
> do with them. They are all "pre-pentium", most do not have CD drives
> of any sort while some (two I think)  have ancient CD readers.  Don't
> ask about USB ports. None of the disk drives seem to work, but we do
> have some spare disks that might be compatible.
>
> Can I make a bootable Xubuntu stiffy? Or is a stiffy just too small?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> There is an insatiable demand for cheap computers up here. But of
> course, they must work!

Try http://www.toms.net/rb/ for "The most GNU/Linux on 1 floppy disk.". I have
used it for ages, mostly as a rescue tool, and it has always given me good
service. My current challenge is to find a current computer that includes a
floppy/stiffy drive so I will have to stick to CDs.......:-)

--
Regards,
Alf Stockton		www.stockton.co.za

You will attract cultured and artistic people to your home.