[ubuntu-za] Very old computers

James Cuénod j3frea at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 14:05:16 BST 2009

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 14:19:50 +0200, Bill Cairns <cairnsww at gmail.com> wrote:

> Our computer club (here in Kokanje - far in the bushveld) has been
> given, over time, a lot of very old computers. We have eight which may
> still work, but which are so old that it is difficult to know what to
> do with them. They are all "pre-pentium", most do not have CD drives
> of any sort while some (two I think)  have ancient CD readers.  Don't
> ask about USB ports. None of the disk drives seem to work, but we do
> have some spare disks that might be compatible.
>
> Can I make a bootable Xubuntu stiffy? Or is a stiffy just too small?
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> There is an insatiable demand for cheap computers up here. But of
> course, they must work!
>
> Bill

I do recall mulinux fitting onto a stiffy and having a window manager...
I might be wrong, xubuntu wont fit onto a stiffy though (being a few hundred megs).
If you have any sort of networking on them you might be able to install over a network (I really have no idea about that though)
But I seem to remember even DSL (Damn Small Linux) being over 50mb when zipped.

I'm sure that you could get donations that would be better though...

--
James, a bondslave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.
http://bondslaveofchrist.blogspot.com