[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) Discs

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 16 09:15:53 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 09:41, David Robert Lewis
<ethnopunk at telkomsa.net> wrote:
> I second this. Ubuntu assumes that everyone is connected to the Internet
> and that you have access to bandwidth, especially in South Africa. I
> would also like to see a central place for checking correct third-party
> repo details and maintaining keys. Since there is exponential growth in
> the Ubuntu community (and I am coming across new ubuntu sites on a daily
> basis) it is difficult to keep up and to maintain security.

This is being worked on: "This document comes with guidelines used to
evaluate the inclusion of third party repositories that can
automatically be added to a user's sources list via an apturl link.
This will result in a user experience where certain third party
packages can be installed by clicking on a hyperlink, and then can be
automatically updated via the normal Ubuntu apt mechanisms."

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyRepositoryApplicationProcess

See also https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-February/027355.html

> PS: I downloaded a Jaunty Beta and it doesn't look all that different.
> Still no reason to upgrade from Hardy LTS?

It's got (or will have) a new theme... but yes, it won't look all that
different. This is significant in that people don't need to be
"retrained" every six months... but to some extent it's because GNOME
releases aren't significantly different in look. If anything, the
applications slowly look more and more like each other as they conform
better to the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.

GNOME 3.0 will be a big step, and it has been in the planning phase
for a long time. It will have some major user interface changes:
http://www.osnews.com/story/21242/GNOME_3_0_To_Get_GNOME_Shell_Zeitgeist

It will also have a bunch of changes "under the hood" in terms of API
improvements and improvements to the platform to make it easier for
the application developers - see
http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan.

GNOME 3.0 might land in parallel with 2.30, or replace 2.30. Either
way, it's planned for 2010, so it might land in Ubuntu in karmic+1 or
karmic+2.

Back to Jaunty though: It will have new versions of apps with various
improvements - such as openOffice.org 3.0 officially included which is
definitely faster than 2.4, a somewhat improved (though probably still
imperfect) PulseAudio for sound, the controversial new notification
system (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDesignGuidelines),
official disk images for Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and the latest in
developer tools and platform such as Python 2.6.

Regards
Morgan