[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) Discs

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Thu Apr 16 08:41:24 BST 2009

Phillip Pare wrote:
> Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
>
>> Hi Ubuntu-ZA (we need a nicer name to refer to our members!)
>>
>> I've CC'd the list on our Jaunty discs request. I also put up a wiki
>> page where everyone can enter their requests:
>>
>> http://wiki.ubuntu-za.org/Jaunty_CD%27s
>>
>> ...cut ....
>>

> I have two questions:
>
> Firstly: Is there any plan to update all freedom toasters with the
> Jaunty release?
>
> Secondly: I have never seen a complete set of all  the Ubuntu and
> Medibuntu repositories available on the Freedom Toasters. What would be
> required to implement this? I ask as the question of bandwidth costs
> comes up regularly. I have used aptoncd to backup all my updates but I
> still run into a dependency hell when trying to use these aptoncd's to
> update other computers. If the Freedom toasters were reguarly updated
> then I could make frequent copies of the repositories and avoid these
> dependency problems.
> My most recent problem arose when trying to upgrade some Hardy systems
> with OpenOffice 3.0. Problems arose with uno-libs3; libslport4.6c2;
> libraptor1; librasqalo; librasqalo; librdfo; ure; dictionaries-common
> and python-uno amongst others. At times I have had considerable problems
> with the correct version of libpango. At the moment I am using the
> 2.6.24-23-generic kernel with the 8.04 (Hardy LTS) release.
>
> Regards
>
> Phillip

I second this. Ubuntu assumes that everyone is connected to the Internet
and that you have access to bandwidth, especially in South Africa. I
would also like to see a central place for checking correct third-party
repo details and maintaining keys. Since there is exponential growth in
the Ubuntu community (and I am coming across new ubuntu sites on a daily
basis) it is difficult to keep up and to maintain security.

PS: I downloaded a Jaunty Beta and it doesn't look all that different.
Still no reason to upgrade from Hardy LTS?