[ubuntu-za] A modest proposal for eliminating the inevitable partition failure issue with Ubuntu conversions

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Sun Apr 12 00:57:56 BST 2009

Lee Sharp wrote:
> David Robert Lewis wrote:
>

>> Did you convert completely, or partition? Also, the Ubuntu duel boot
>> option assumes you're not going to do something crazy like partition a
>> third disk with HFS and that you're not going to try to install anything
>> else like SuZe. I went the partitioning root, learnt my lesson, sort of.
>> Then I got into VMS, but got caught by the Macintel bug, sad to say.
>> Now, I'm upgrading to VMware server, and sticking with one basic OS.
>>

> Partitions are just a bad concept.  This is not a Linux thing...  These
> problems happen on Windows as well.  I remember the same kind of posts
> back when people were dual booting Win95 and NT, and the NTloader would
> flame out.  The fact is that if you try and have more than 4 partitions,
> things go bad fast.  If you do not understand how to reinstall your
> bootloader (fdisk /mbr, super grub disk...  etc.) things can get ugly
> fast.  If you try and use the same bootloader for 2 different systems,
> (Ubuntu grub and suse grub) things get ugly fast.  If you want to run a
> lot of OSes, you either need multiple disk drives, or VM ware, or a lot
> of patients.
>
> 			Lee

Yes, but journaled file systems like ext3 are particularly vulnerable. I
think what I'm trying to get at, is aside from the foolishness and
frenzy that partition failure brings, is some method of encouraging the
community to backup up MBR records in a way that is no going to simply
reproduce the problem. Trolling through a host of posts on corrupted
superblocks caused by the Ubuntu vs XP vs Mac issue, my heart goes out
to everyone, like me, who ended up duel or triple booting, and there has
got to be a better way then simply expecting everyone to deploy RAID and
to backup data. We can't all afford the kind of bandwidth and hardware
needed to do this, but surely we can make it possible to upload vital
parts of the system in a way that makers users identify with the
positive aspects of converting to Ubuntu, as opposed to the negative
aspects. I just don't want to be part of a community that looks the
other way when people wipe out. Its terrifying to see what some people
have done, and I consider myself lucky, I had most of my data on an NTFS
partition.

Happy Easter, everyone, back on track.

DRL