[ubuntu-za] Wireless Network Driver HP Laptop

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 11:00:19 BST 2009

2009/4/9 Bruno Marques <bruno at tropical.co.mz>:
> my laptop is a hp compaq 6710b with 2gb of ram.
> in windows, my laptop has a shortcut key on the keyboard that enables
> the wireless connection.

I'm using a hp Compaq 8710w and my wireless at home with that telkom
adsl router works just fine.
I can't connect to the wireless networks at both my company's offices,
but I suspect it is
because I'm running the server kernel (so I can use my 4GB ram) or it
could be the encryption
they use. I stopped trying and stared to do my work in stead at some point.

> but, now in ubuntu, when i press the ,key to active the wireless, it
> activates the bluetooth.

thats strange If I push my wireless button, my wireless goes down.

> is there any way i can test to see if i can find any wireless networks?
> already went to the hp site, but regarding my laptop, they dont seem too
> linux friendly.

you should be able to add a new network connection using network manager.

also if you search in synaptic for wireless there are tons of apps that
can look for wireless networks. but you should be able to configure
your wireless connection without needing them though.

--
<| regards