[ubuntu-za] Migrating from Vista To Ubuntu

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Wed Apr 8 04:33:20 BST 2009

Bruno Marques wrote:
> hello all
>
> finally made the migration on my laptop to ubuntu only.
> have firefox up and running with my bookmarks and stuff
>
> just finished installing thunderbird.
> now, someone said something about where to replace the folders from the
> thunderbird in windows to a folder in ubuntu. i Cant quite remember now
> who did, since all emails are backed up in a unreadable file.
>
> can someone please point me out on where to put the profile folder from
> thunderbird, in order to have all my older emails?

I can not remember where it hides in Windows, but in Ubuntu it is in
/home/$user/.mozilla-thunderbird/$string.default/Mail or
/home/$user/.thunderbird/$string.default/Mail depending on how your
system evolved. :)  The . means hidden directory so from your home
directory in nautilus (the gnome file browser) click on View -> Show
Hidden Files, and you will be able to find it.  For the record, my Mail
folder is 2.3 gig. :)

> one other thing regarding songbird, the music player.
> i downloaded the thing from their website, and its a tar.gz file, i've
> unpacked it and got a folder of songbird.
> my question is, what do i do with it, in order to install songbird?
> i've attached a picture of the folder contents if it might help

Try this link.  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Songbird  Installing
from a .deb is generally easier than a tar.gz or compiling.

			Lee