[ubuntu-za] Migrating from Vista To Ubuntu

Schalk Neethling - OpenSource Release Feed info at opensourcereleasefeed.com
Wed Apr 8 01:32:39 BST 2009

Hey there everyone,

As mentioned a while ago, I thought the initial questions posted by
Bruno was really something I think a lot of people struggle with and
even stops them from migrating.

The tips and suggestions a lot of you posted on the list really was
insightful and helpful and I wanted to tuen it into an article so that
even more people can benefit from it, post more tips and suggestins and
ask more questions.

It is now done and live,
http://www.opensourcereleasefeed.com/article/show/migrating-from-windows-to-ubuntu-a-community-driven-guide,
please let me know what you think and feel free to contribute further.

Kind Regards,
Schalk

Bruno Marques wrote:
> hello all
>
> finally made the migration on my laptop to ubuntu only.
> have firefox up and running with my bookmarks and stuff
>
> just finished installing thunderbird.
> now, someone said something about where to replace the folders from the
> thunderbird in windows to a folder in ubuntu. i Cant quite remember now
> who did, since all emails are backed up in a unreadable file.
>
> can someone please point me out on where to put the profile folder from
> thunderbird, in order to have all my older emails?
>

> one other thing regarding songbird, the music player.
> i downloaded the thing from their website, and its a tar.gz file, i've
> unpacked it and got a folder of songbird.
> my question is, what do i do with it, in order to install songbird?
> i've attached a picture of the folder contents if it might help
>
> many thanks in advance
>
> regards
>
> Bruno Marques

Kind Regards,
Schalk Neethling
President - Open Source Release Feed
www.opensourcereleasefeed.com

email: schalk at opensourcereleasefeed.com
phone: +27(0)12-546-8436
fax: +27(0)865122050
skype: volume4

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other
use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have
received this email in error, please contact the sender and please
delete all traces of this material from all devices.