[ubuntu-za] Vodacom 3G data card

William Gebers wgebers at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:13:23 BST 2009

Hi Dennis.

There are two options that I have found.

The first is to use gppp (gnome ppp), provided linux is recognising your
modem.

This article may be of assistance, but you will need to change some of the
parameters for Vodacom.
http://polishlinux.org/linux/ubuntu/three-uk-3g-modem-in-ubuntu-linux/

Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","3internet"  should be Init5 =
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet"
Username and Password can be set to "User" and "Pass".  Vodacom doesn't
require a username or password, but you may find problems if you don't put
one in.
Alternatively, I have seen an open source project to create a driver / app
to manage the connection for vodafone modems.
https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

Regards,