[ubuntu-za] Migrating from vista to Ubuntu

Lee Sharp leesharp at hal-pc.org
Fri Apr 3 16:02:52 BST 2009

Bruno Mondego wrote:

> hello all
>
> i'm dual booting in my desktop pc in home, ubuntu, and windows
>
> but now i finally decided to do a full migration to ubuntu in my laptop..
>
> my only concerns are, how to migrate crucial info from one OS to the other.
>
> for instance, i need help on "converting" all my email from windows
> mail, to another mail program, like thunderbird.
>
> firefox bookmarks aswell.

Install the Windows versions, and let them import.  Then back up the
data.  It will port

> etc..
> is there any important stuff i have to remind myself to do, or to backup?

> im using a hp laptop, wich has a separate partition for recovery.
> if i install ubuntu, will i lose that recovery partition forever?

You can use something like ghost4unix http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/ or
ghost4linux http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l to back up the recovery
partition if you need it.

http://linuxappfinder.com/
http://www.linuxalt.com/
http://www.osalt.com/

> just want to know what everyones oppinion on the matter is
>
> if someone had the pleasure of going through that type of experience, i
> would gladdly appreciate any suggestions and tips.

If I can, I take out the old hard drive and keep it on a shelf for a
while, and start with new.  That way I can recover from the "Ooops, I
needed that" moments.

			Lee